G is for Gray Charles
G is for Gray Charles
Love him or hate him, you have to admit that he was an integral part of Taylor’s online fanbase during American Idol, and was a voice for Taylor after the win. Gray, the original, was the first to make it “all about the music”. When other fan sites were “thudding” left and right, Gray banned the fangirls and catered to the blues and soul fanbase, the music afficiando, though his detractors would call the regulars music snobs. Gray led many of us back to Taylor’s roots, back to “real” music, and gave us insight into the blacklight world of indie artists and small labels.
“All about the music” maybe, but he was so much more:
* For Taylor’s fanbase, Gray was the originator of the “audio blog”.
* His post AI interview gave us greater insight and let us know what was cooking deep in our “American Idol’s” soul.
* He leaked the vids to the rehearsals.com site, leading to the infamous f-bomb apology.
*We heard the first clips, then the full audio of the major label CD “Taylor Hicks”, prior to its official release date.
*It was the gathering point for all of us who made our way to MardiGras and joined the Krewe of Endmyion, where Taylor served as Grand Marshall.
*The fanbase rallied for (and against) Gray Charles, as Taylor and his management hammered out a marketing plan.
When all was said and done, these two went their separate ways, but still the story continued:
* Admirers and detractors alike stopped by during the last days of www.graycharles.com to give their two cents, speak their mind, and/or say their peace.
* Gray chose this site to release previously unseen video of Taylor and the band rehearsing, adding once more to the mutual buzz and (dare I say it?) allure of these two gentlemen doing what they do best: Taylor performing his music, his way, and Gray Charles being his enigmatic self.
It may seem self indulgent, but this seems like a good time to make something clear. When I was thinking up a name for this site, I never imagined that I would become the successor of the “Grey” name. I make no claim whatsoever to attempt to follow in the footsteps of the original, nor have the same impact on this fanbase.